Plastic Free July aims to raise awareness of the problems with single-use disposable plastic and challenges people to do something about it. I have accepted this challenge!
The single-use disposables such as bottles, bags, tubs that we use just for a few minutes out of pure convenience are made from plastic, something that is designed to last forever…
- break up, not break down – becoming a permanent pollution
- are mostly sent to landfill
- ‘escape’ from bins, trucks, hands to become litter
- end up in water sources – scientists predict there will be more tonnes of plastic than tonnes of fish by 2050
- transfer to the food chain – carrying pollutants with them
- increase our footprint – plastic manufacturing consumes 6% of the world’s fossil fuels
Did you know? Every bit of plastic ever made still exists.
Throughout July I have challenged myself, and Rob (he has not escaped this) to do the following:
See here to start your own challenge.
I’ll be sharing on the blog and instagram what I do throughout July to avoid using plastic, it’d also be great to hear (if you accept the challenge) what you end up doing!