Today we went pumpkin picking at Cattows Farm, Leicestershire. I picked one to cook and one to carve.
I made soup with the one to cook, here is my vegan pumpkin soup recipe, perfect as the days get chillier and nights get darker.
- 1 pumpkin
- 1 white onion
- Rapeseed oil
- Fresh ginger
- Ground nutmeg
- Ground cinnamon
- Black pepper
- 2 pints vegetable stock
- Pre-heat oven to 240℃
- Cut the pumpkin in half through the stalk, scoop out the seeds (save the seeds to roast), then cut each half into chunks
- Place onto a baking tray, brush each chunk with rapeseed oil, season with salt and black pepper, then place into the oven for 30 minutes
- While the pumpkin is roasting, put a dash of rapeseed oil, chopped onion and ginger in a pan to fry, once the onion has some colour put it on a low heat to simmer for 20 minutes
- Scoop out the roasted pumpkin and add to the onions and ginger, then add the vegetable stock, nutmeg, cinnamon and more salt and black pepper to simmer on a low heat for 20 minutes
- Finally, blend the soup to a smooth puree
As mentioned above, save those pumpkin seeds to roast as a tasty topping or snack.
- Pre-heat oven to 180℃
- Scrape the seeds from the pumpkin, clean off all the pulp and give them a rinse
- Spread them onto a baking tray, spray with rapeseed oil and season with salt and black pepper (or any flavour you like!), then place into the oven for 10 minutes